BigBob
BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

I have a 1999 SL1. 225,000 miles. I have oil in my coolant tank.

I have a 1999 SL1. 225,000 miles. I have oil in my coolant tank. About 1/2 quart every 200 miles. No coolant in the oil. I changed Head gasket with no change. Is the only other possability a cracked head or block? What else could it be?
Category: Car
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
Greetings,

This is a common problem on that motor. We just did one at my shop and the machine shop could not find any crackes, but there was one. Remove the camshaft and check the cam bearing area near cylinder #4 for a crack in the cylinder head, allowing oil into the coolant. Use only a new head, do not have a reman done or you will be asking for trouble. The new head is actually reasonably priced through the dealer. With that many miles you may want to replace the camshaft also.

Good luck,
Bob