Dennis
Dennis, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified since 1988. Washington State certified Phase II Emissions Specialist. Shop Owner
10916496

2001 Sonata: V6..Check engine light came on first..engine started

Customer Question

2001 Sonata V6. Check engine light came on first. Shortly afetr that engine started running rough and it even backfired a couple times. Car has 82,000 miles. Hopefully, this is a bad sensor or something simple.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dennis replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question,Customer There are many possibilities for this type of problem, Mark. The first thing we must do is "pull codes" from the computer memory. This will point us in the right direction. Whenever the "check engine" light comes on it sets a code in the memory of the computer. Most parts stores can connect a code reader to your computer and tell you what the codes are for free. An example of a code; PO300 Random Engine Misfire. A number and description. Post the code(s) here and I can further assist you. Thanks and let me know if I can be of further assistance!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I understand about the codes. My worry is that the problem might be a "major" problem and not just a sensor or something more simple. What do you think?
Expert:  Dennis replied 8 years ago.
I think we will have to pull codes and proceed from there to determine what the problem is. I can only say that most likely it is a sensor or ignition problem since the engine only has 82,000 miles on it and Hyundais are not known for engine problems. With today's cars being as sophisticated and complex as they are a step by step diagnosis will be necessary.