Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

2005 Sonata: of a sudden, I get 22-23 mpg.

I have a 2005 Sonata 6 cyl. I have been getting 27-28 mpg. All of a sudden, I get 22-23 mpg. I took the car to the dealership where they performed $207 in "routine maintenance" (which had been done a month previously by my local mechanic). The dealership says they have no idea why mileage is bad now and there is nothing more they can do. What can I do to restore gas mileage? I have considered trading for a Honda but I like my Hyundai, except for this problem. Can you help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

ther may not be anything wrong with the car..the oil companies may be changing to thier summer blend of fuel,wich may have more alcahol in it,this would decrese you milage a little...or you may have bought gas at a different place,,,,it is probly the amount of etenol in the fuel you are getting now

just a thought,thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks but this has been going on for about a month. I only use Shell or Exxon. Would they have begun their summer blend in January? Will this continue all summer? I expected better performance out of this car.

it is posble that they have already started a new could try a different company....the car really isnt doing to bad to have this average,i know you said it got a lot more before...but this is still decent for a v-6