Dennis, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified since 1988. Washington State certified Phase II Emissions Specialist. Shop Owner

Isuzu Axiom: oil every..500 miles..Dealer says this is normal, is it

Isuzu Axiom burns oil - have to add oil every 500 miles. Dealer says this is normal, is it?
Hello and thanks for your question,Customer If you are using a quart every 500 miles then that would be 6 quarts between oil changes. The accepted "normal" oil consumption of an engine is ONE quart between oil changes. That has been the accepted "norm" of us mechanical types, however, looking at an Isuzu bulletin concerning engine oil consumption testing, their own bulletin says for an Axiom one quart every 1,000 miles is normal. In my mind that would be excessive but the manufacturer has the final say. So, " NO" a quart every 500 miles is NOT acceptable!!! If consumption of one quart every 1,000 miles is acceptable then you are using TWICE the "accepted norm'. Thanks and let me know if I can be of further assistance!