BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

2005 Hyundai: cyl..approx 200 miles the check engine light came on

I have a 2005 Hyundai GL 4 cyl that I picked up used. After driving approx 200 miles the check engine light came on. Went back to the dealer who sold it to me and he said it was kicking out a code 442 which he said was a general code and he couldn't get a more specific one to take. He put some fuel cleaner in and said to drive it around again. 100 miles later, in dry conditions, the light has come back on again. Is there anything specific we should look for regarding the code 442?
Category: Car
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.

What is the model of Hyundai you have? Sonata, Tucson, Etc

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry about that... It's a Sonata. Also, I forgot to mention that the first time I gassed it up, the pump clicked like the tank was full... but when I started driving again, the gauge only showed 3/4 full.
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
Greetings again,

I have uploaded the description and test for the code po442 here. The problem is you will have to hook up a scanner and run some tests. The gas tank problem could be related, there is a fuel pressure sensor on your system that can cause this. As far as anything you can do, Take a look at all the vacuum hoses that run to the fuel tank under the vehicle, see if any are obviously cracked or broken, other than that you nay have to have a smoke machine hooked up to find the leak.

Let me know if I can help further,

Good luck,