Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2006 Subaru Forester: unhooked..headlight..the thing idles..kick

I have a 2006 Subaru Forester. I unhooked the battery to change a headlight, now, the thing idles really low, and the cooling fans kick on and off very frequently. What did I do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Hi there! What code was in it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, I erased the code. It did say idle speed too low. And if it helps, the "Cruise" light was flashing. When I cleared the code, The cruise light and the "check engine lights both went out. the one thing the worries me, is the cooling fans are turning on and off very quickly.    
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, Disonnecting the negitive battery cable should not be a factor here. As for the cruise light, it will default and turn the cruise off when the check engine light comes on. It is normal.
The cooling fans are interesting. Do they come on as soon as you turn the key on? Also, do you have anything like a remote start system in the car or is everything factory?
Let me know and I will see if I can help. It might be tough without the code, but we can try. You have not connected any wire connectors under the dash have you?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No sir..no wiring under the dash has been touched. I was wondering, Is there such a thing as a system reset? There is no remote starter or anything like that. I do have an aftermarket radio, but it has never given any sort of problem. The fans do come on as soon as the key is on but only for a second or two...It's so strange, this all started last night when I disconnected the battery. What should the idle be? It was running around 500-750 rpm. I was just wondering if the computer has to retrain itself or something with having power unhooked from it.
I'm just spitballing here.    
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No sir..no wiring under the dash has been touched. I was wondering, Is there such a thing as a system reset? There is no remote starter or anything like that. I do have an aftermarket radio, but it has never given any sort of problem. The fans do come on as soon as the key is on but only for a second or two...It's so strange, this all started last night when I disconnected the battery. What should the idle be? It was running around 500-750 rpm. I was just wondering if the computer has to retrain itself or something with having power unhooked from it. I'm just spitballing here.    
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
The computer will relearn the base idle. IT will take some time, however it should not set any codes while it does this. The fans will kick on right at startup if you have the defroster or the a/c on. I am going to say ride it out for a couple of days and if the light comes back on, give me the code so we have something to work with.Also, make sure you didn't have to unhook anything wlse to get to the bulb. You may be forgetting something you unplugged or unbolted to get to the light. Let me know!