mrfixitrick
mrfixitrick, Mechanic
Experience:  Over 35 years of full-time, hands-on, automotive repairs to all makes.
8471443

2001 ISUZU RODEO I4-2.2L ENGINE I am receiving an code of 342

2001 ISUZU RODEO I4-2.2L ENGINE I am receiving an code of 342 cam shaft what does this mean and how expensive is the problem
HelloCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to advise about the Isuzu Rodeo cam shaft code.

The P0342 code refers to the camshaft position sensor circuit. It is very likely that the camshaft sensor needs to be replaced, but the wiring between it and the computer should be checked first.

The camshaft position sensor for the four cylinder is located in the front part of the engine. You have to remove the spark plug cover cap, then remove the serpentine belt. Remove the timing belt cover, then remove the timing belt cover mounting screw located in between the two gears.

The cam position sensor looks like this... http://tinyurl.com/cvu67c

It's a common item to fail in these engines and replacement should solve the problem.

The cam sensor part is about $125 and it should be less than an hour to replace.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your response. Is the serpentine belt and fan belt the same or the timing belt
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
He mentioned belts, I just wanted to know if the serpentine belt and the fan belt or timing belt are they the same
The serpentine belt is the fan or accessory belt. It has a series of thin grooves length-wise in the belt. The timing belt is behind the timing cover and is a wider, toothed belt.

The serpentine belt gets removed, not the timing belt.