mrfixitrick, Mechanic
Experience:  Over 35 years of full-time, hands-on, automotive repairs to all makes.

Battery light illuminates..grounding..previous owner..alternator

Battery light illuminates when car initially start but after the engine gets going it goes off. Maybe is a issue with the grounding? Just bought the car and previous owner said alternator and battery are newish.
Category: Car
Expert:  mrfixitrick replied 7 years ago.
hiCustomer and welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to answer your battery light question.

This type of symptom is usually caused by a slipping alternator belt. The start-up friction is greater for the alternator pulley because of the initial heavy charging to bring the battery and electrical systems up to the correct voltage. Check the belt for glazing or cracking, and replace if any doubt.

If the belt is in good condition, make sure it is tightened properly. You can over-tighten the alternator belt temporarily to see if the problem goes away, but don't leave it that way because of possible alternator bearing wear.

You are correct in that a poor ground connection can also cause or contribute to this condition. Particularly check the battery connections, both the ground (negative) and the positive terminal connectors must be clean, tight and without internal wire corrosion. Make sure there is a good connection between the battery ground, body ground and engine ground. With a 20-year old vehicle there is a greater chance of corrosion under a ground wire bolt head or in a plastic wire connector, so check those in particular.

Try these things and let me know if that takes care of it.
You can come back to this question later to follow-up.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the help.
Glad to be of service, and thanks for using me at JustAnswer.