Gatormans
Gatormans, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mechanic Specializing in American Cars

2000 impreza outback sport: my tires..tires rotated..oil light

Customer Question

i just had a tire replaced 2 months ago on my 2000 impreza outback sport. about 3 weeks ago i just had my tires rotated and the new tire got moved to the front from the back. today i was driving and my at oil light began to flash. the place that replaced my tire measured the tire wear several times and determined that the tire they were replacing was with in the the maximum wear alloted to replace with out replacing all 4 tires since all my tires had less then 10,000 miles on them. what could be causing my at oil light to flash?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gatormans replied 5 years ago.

Hello!!

Your oil light has nothing to do with your tires being rotated.

Your oil light signifies you have low oil pressure. Check your engine oil level. If it's full, you will need to have someone check your oil pressure. If it's missing oil, top it off with oil, verify the light turns off and check to see where its leaking from.

Either case, please don't drive this car until you look into this problem. You may cause damage to the engine.

I hope this answered your question. Please click accept if you are satisfied with my explanation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is my oil light the same thing as my A/T oil temp light? because it was my A/T oil light that was flashing. i have been reading around in other subaru forums and it sounds like that its linked to my trany. i did just have my oil changed 2 weeks ago when my tires were rotated so i dont think its that but i will look and see if anything is leaking.
Expert:  Gatormans replied 5 years ago.

No, they are both different. Disregard previous answer. Wink

Your A/T oil light is definitely from your transmission. First, check the level of the trans fluid with the car running. Make sure it's full and bright red. If it's not, you should have the fluid replaced and hopefully it doesn't come back on.

If it's full and bright red, you will need to take it in if the light comes on again. It can be as simple as a transmission sensor or something major such as a transimission pump.

Gatormans, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mechanic Specializing in American Cars
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where would i look to check that? and can the new tire play into the light coming on since it is a AWD car?
Expert:  Gatormans replied 5 years ago.
I am assuming you have the automatic trans??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i do have automatic trans.
Expert:  RyanD replied 5 years ago.
The tire should have nothing to do with your transmission light. You are correct uneven tire sizes can damage awd vehicles, especially subaru's but that is due to the viscus clutches in the differentials. They are a series of plates with silicone inbetween them, and as the plates spin at different speeds, it heats up the plates, heating the silicone, and forces power to both wheels on that differential. If you had one tire a good amount off the size of the other one, that differential would overheat, but not the transmission.

Overheating transmission fluid is usually caused by either a restriction in the flow to your heat exchanger in the radiator (the transmission fluid actually has its own passage in the bottom of the radiator, and if it gets clogged you dont have the same cooling as before) other possibilites are that a line is pinched off running to that, or as stated before a failing pump. A good diagnosis needs to be done with a mechanic actually taking a hands on look at your transmission, Automatic transmissions are a tough diagnosis to make via the internet. Some quick shops will offer an automatic transmission fluid flush, however thats about as far into the actual repair they will go, and you need to determine whats causing your transmission to overheat before you exchange the fluid. Just exhanging the fluid will just bandaid the issue, eventually overheating that fluid and you would need another fluid flush. How many miles are on the vehicle now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
87,000 miles
Expert:  RyanD replied 5 years ago.
With 87,000 I would definately suspect that there is a blockage of some form going to the heat exchanger for the automatic transmission causing insufficient flow. Your supposed to flush the fluid on a subaru transmission every 30,000 miles to prevent buildup, do you know if the service has been done on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i havent since i have owned the car which it only had 45,000 on it when i bought it. i did just have my drive belts replaced and my pcv replaced subaru dealer has mentioned about it but i am taking it in to them to get a pcv and fuel induction done on the car so i will ask them about it at that time.
Expert:  RyanD replied 5 years ago.
The test that needs to be performed on your transmission is a pressure test. They need to hook up a pressure gauge and make sure your fluid is getting flow, or make sure your clutches arent slipping inside the transmission.