mrfixitrick
mrfixitrick, Mechanic
Experience:  Over 35 years of full-time, hands-on, automotive repairs to all makes.

stalled..oil clogged because of piston blow by..is common problem

error message is "engine stalled" battery and oil lights stay on. JAG DEALER service rep says that emission tubes are oil clogged because of piston blow by. He says that this is common problem for this engine and it is not repairable.
Category: Car
Expert:  mrfixitrick replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer and welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X would like to advise you regarding your unfortunate Jag situation.

Do you have a specific question about this problem?

Do you wish to have confirmation that this is a common problem with these engines?

Did the dash lights stay on, or did a reset occur?

What is the mileage on the engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The lights did stay on.
There are 89,000 mi on the engine.
THE Service rep said that the engine had been overheated and appeared to have 189,000 mi.
The car has always been serviced by SCOTTSDALE JAGUAR and all service logged on "CAR FACTS"
Is this a common problem with these engines?

Bob Parker
The 1998-2000 jag engines had two severe problems, both of which the company is aware of.

One problem was with the cam chain tensioner, which can let go and the cam chain jams up and stops the engine. (about $4000 min to fix.)

The other more severe but common problem was with the cylinder wall coating that will wear off, causing the blowby and related emission tube problems.
(requires engine replacement costing $12,000-$15,000)

Many of this year jag engines are worn out at well below 100,000 miles. Wear occurs quickly if the vehicle has a lot of cold starts because of raw fuel washing oil off the delicate cylinder walls. The problem was solved with the 2001 year and up engines, which used a sleeve in the cylinder instead of a coating.
mrfixitrick, Mechanic
Experience: Over 35 years of full-time, hands-on, automotive repairs to all makes.