david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

How to remove the engine in an 96 eclipse

Customer Question

how to remove the engine in an 96 eclipse
Category: Car
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

In the process of removing the engine, you will come across a number of steps which call for the removal of a separate component or system, such as "disconnect the exhaust system" or "remove the radiator." In this instances there is a detailed removal procedure i can get you them if you need just ask and i will be happy to help.

It is virtually impossible to list each individual wire and hose which must be disconnected, simply because so many different model and engine combinations have been manufactured. Careful observation and common sense are the best possible approaches to any repair procedure.

Removal and installation of the engine can be made easier if you follow these basic points:

• If you have to drain any of the fluids, use a suitable container.
  • Always tag any wires or hoses and, if possible, the components they came from before disconnecting them.
  • Because there are so many bolts and fasteners involved, store and label the retainers from components separately in muffin pans, jars or coffee cans. This will prevent confusion during installation.
  • After unbolting the transmission or trans axle, always make sure it is properly supported.
  • If it is necessary to disconnect the air conditioning system, have this service performed by a qualified technician using a recovery/recycling station. If the system does not have to be disconnected, unbolt the compressor and set it aside.
  • When unbolting the engine mounts, always make sure the engine is properly supported. When removing the engine, make sure that any lifting devices are properly attached to the engine. It is recommended that if your engine is supplied with lifting hooks, your lifting apparatus be attached to them.
  • Lift the engine from its compartment slowly, checking that no hoses, wires or other components are still connected.
  • After the engine is clear of the compartment, place it on an engine stand or workbench.
  • After the engine has been removed, you can perform a partial or full tear down of the engine using the procedures outlined in this guide.
  1. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  2. If not already done, disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. If equipped, remove the engine under cover.
  4. Match mark the hood and hinges and remove the hood assembly. Remove the air cleaner assembly and all adjoining air intake duct work.
  5. Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container, then remove the radiator assembly, coolant reservoir and inter cooler.
  6. If equipped with AWD, remove the trans axle and transfer case.
  7. Tag and detach the following components: accelerator cable, heater hoses, brake vacuum hose, connection for vacuum hoses, high pressure fuel line, fuel return line, oxygen sensor connection, coolant temperature gauge connection, coolant temperature sensor connector, connection for thermo switch sensor, if equipped with automatic trans axle, the connection for the idle speed control, motor position sensor connector, throttle position sensor connector, EGR temperature sensor connection (California vehicles), fuel injector connectors, power transistor connector, ignition coil connector, condenser and noise filter connector, distributor and control harness, connections for the alternator and oil pressure switch wires.
  8. If equipped, with A/C, remove the A/C drive belt and the compressor. Leave the A/C lines attached. Do NOT discharge the system. Wire the compressor aside.
  9. Remove the power steering pump and wire aside.
  10. Remove the exhaust manifold-to-head pipe nuts. Discard the gasket and replace with a new one during installation.
  11. Attach a hoist to the engine and take up the engine weight. Remove the engine mount bracket. Remove any torque control brackets (roll stoppers). Note that some engine mount pieces have arrows on them for proper assembly. Double check that all cables, hoses, harness connectors, etc., are disconnected from the engine. Lift the engine slowly from the engine compartment.

To install:

1. Install the engine and secure in position. The front lower mount through-bolt nut should not be tightened until the full weight of the engine is on the mount.
    Tighten the engine mount bolts as specified in the engine torque chart, located in this section.
  2. Install the exhaust pipe, power steering pump and A/C compressor.
  3. Checking the tags installed during removal, reconnect all electrical and vacuum connections.
  4. Install the trans axle to the vehicle and tighten the upper mounting bolts to 65 ft. lbs. (90 Nm). Install the starter assembly and tighten both mounting bolts to 54-65 ft. lbs. (75-90 Nm).
  5. Install the radiator assembly and inter cooler.
  6. Install the air cleaner assembly. Install all control brackets, if not already done.
  7. Fill the engine with the proper amount of engine oil. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. Refill the cooling system. Start the engine, allow it to reach normal operating temperature. Check for leaks.
  9. Check the ignition timing and adjust, if necessary.
  10. Install the hood making sure to align the match marks made during disassembly.
  11. Road test the vehicle and check all functions for proper operation.

Hope this helps

Good luck