Chris Gast
Chris Gast, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Have 6 years experience and am a ase master auto tech& i have recently started working on heavy eq.
16302546

94 cadillac deville: IDLES..EGR VALVE AND ALSO BLEW IT OUT..COIL

I HAVE A 94 CADILAC DAVILLE THAT IDLES BAD ACTS AS IF WANTS TO CUT OFF SOMETIMES DOES AND ALSO DIMMING LIGHTS I HAVE REMOVED AND CLEANED EGR VALVE AND ALSO BLEW IT OUT WITH EGR VALVE OFF CAR STILL RUNS THE SAME WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS PRIOR TO THIS PROBLEM I HAD A BAD PICK UP COIL THAT WAS SUCCESSFULLY REPLACED BUT NOW THE CAR HAS A VERY BAD IDLE ALMOST SEEMS AS IF THE TIMING WAS OFF BUT WHEN CHECKED TIMING WAS DEAD ON PLEASE HELP

It sounds like when the pickup coil was bad that maybe the sparkplug wire were put back on the distributor in the wrong order. what size engine does the car have and i can look up the firing order for u

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
4.9 BUT I DID NUMBER THE WIRES WHEN I REPLACED PICK UP COIL

was the problem there before u replaced the coil? the firing order is

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NO THERE WAS NO PROBLEM WITH THE IDLE BEFORE REPLACING THE PICK UP COIL BUT WHILE TRYING TO FIGURE THE PROBLEM OUT WITH THE PICK UP COIL I WAS TOLD TO SPRAY CARB CLEANER IN THE T BODY WOULD THAT CAUSE THIS PROBLEM
no that would not if anything that would help by cleaning the carbon out of the throttle body. is it running ruff or smooth or does it just want to die. does it backfire
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

it is runs smooth till comes to a stop then seems as if it wants to die out no backfire

check for vacuum leaks. u can also try unhooking the battery for ten to fifteen min. hooking the battery back up and letting it idle for ten min. this will reset the idle controll in the computer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank You I do have one more question then I will gladly accept why when I am pressing on break and sometimes they go to the floor with out catching almost feeling like air and sometimes they are hard again on brand new rotors and brand new breaks that has been bled could that be my calibures going bad or could I be loosing pressure in any connection with this idle problem

That problem is a bad brake master cylinder I know this one for a fact i have repaired that problem on many of vehicles. That wouldn't cause the other problem though.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

THANK YOU I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP I LOVE THIS SITE