George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

2005 Saab: I am trying to remove the front rotor..pads..budge

Customer Question

I am trying to remove the front rotor on my 2005 Saab 9-3 and i cannot get it to come off. it appears to be being blocked by the two arms that hold the pads on. i have tried to remove the two arms and they will not budge. i have tried removing the center socket but that seems to do very little to actually help. Suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You will need to remove the Torx headed bolts shown at location #3

So that you can remove the caliper mount then remove the screws holding the rotor to the hub.

Be careful as these were designed by the same engineers that design fighters and the bolts are easy to strip/break if you do not have a tight fitting socket

Let me know if you have questions

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we have tried to remove those, but we cannot get them to budge. because they are "torx" heads, the tools that we have tried on it, we are afraid of breaking it. any suggestions on what tool we might should get or might already have? i have msot everything in my tool chest but nothing that is seeming to work.
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

A can of PB blaster and a torch to heat the area around the bolt. As I said the "engineers" leave a lot to be desired. If you break one off you are no worse off. You will still have to drill it out and clean the threads up.

Soak the bolt thread with the PB and leave it over night . Its pretty amazing stuff. You can get it at any big box or autoparts store. Tap (hit) the bolt head to shock the corrosion and try to loosen it. If you still cant get it loose you will have to try heating the area around the bolt.