Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

2001 Kia Rio: first start..quits..(other days it runs fine..sits

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Kia Rio that on the first start of the day, about 1 to 2 miles down the road it starts missing and sometimes it just completely quits. (other days it runs fine.) After it sits for couple minutes it can be started back up and runs fine for the rest of the day. The engine light also came on and I had it tested and the results were that spark plug #3 was misfiring. I took out the spark plug and found oil on it. I replaced the valve cover gasket and the car seemed to do better for awhile, but then the problem came back. The valve cover gasket I used was rubber. I have heard that others with Kia Rios have also had their cars just die on them. I suspect a design flaw with the way the valve cover and gasket were designed. Also if number 3 is misfiring enough could this cause some sort of computer problem until the car is restarted. Have you heard of this problem before? What do you think?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

I did a search and discovered several recall for your car. Sone are about stalling and sone about fuel leaks. There is also a bulletin about the valve cover seals. I have attached but pix may not come through. You should take this car to a dealer and go over ALL recalls beaofre you start spending money . Lmk thanks

SOURCE: Kia Technician Times

TITLE: Cam Carrier Sealing

APPLIES TO: Rio

SERVICE TIP:

The cam carrier on the Rio engine requires an oil tight seal between it and the cylinder head. This is accomplished with 4 special O-ring seals around the spark plug cavities, and with a sealant on all mating surfaces, while taking care not to allow sealant into oil or coolant passages. The specified sealant is for close fitting machined surfaces, and eliminates the need to re-torque after the sealant settles and cures.

The O-ring seal is available under P/N 0K30E 10 122, and will be added to the next revision of the Rio parts catalog. The sealant to be used when replacing or re-installing the Rio's cam carrier is either Hylomar Anaerobic Adhesive Grade 3000 or an equivalent, such as Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker.