Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

92 olds 88 royale: stratus..sputters..the gas it dies..backfires

Customer Question

i have an 92 olds 88 royale it strats up fine but while driving it start to sputter and i try pressing on the gas more and it sputters more but when i come completely off the gas it dies out but will restart and it also backfires
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
I would start by checking the fuel pressure if that is good I would unplug the Mass air flow sensor(with the key off) and then try to run the engine and if it runs better the problem may be the sensor. If all that seems to be good I would check the exhaust to see if it is plugged.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i tried that and even drove with it like that and was able to do 65mph but it strated sputtering and i press the gas more to clear the chocking but when you come off the gas peddal the car dies?
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
Which option did you try?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i tryed unpluging the mass air flow sensor and the fuel pressure is good. Come on cheif give me something to work with please. Say if i started the car it will run fine on its on 4 a good while then if you go press the gas peddal it sputters then when you try to give it more gas to clear it up and take your foot off the peddal it dies out. then turn the key starts right back up but wont take accelaration even in gear.
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
Does removing the plug from the Mass air flow sensor improve this at all? How much fuel pressure do you have?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it does. 35 on idol and 40 rev. but still sputter when unpluged
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
How much difference does it make when it is unplugged? It will not run perfect when unplugged but if there is a big difference (much better) the sensor could be the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok i got different codes for sensors being bad. 1 is the throttle sensor 2 is the air intake sensor 3 mas air flow sensor and 4 oxygen sensor