Jay
Jay, Mechanic
Experience:  5 yrs experience with Gm, 9 years in automotive shops trained at SAIT
12620940

How do I repair the code P0404 problem on a 2001 Saturn SC1...and

Customer Question

How do I repair the code P0404 problem on a 2001 Saturn SC1...and also the code U1301
Category: Car
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer I would replace the EGR valve for the P0404 and you don't need to worry about the U1301 code it is a lack of communication between modules that likely cleared itself up. Please reply if you have any questions, thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know which one is the EGR valve...do you have a picture or diagram of what it is?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.

Yes, I do and here is the instructions for replacing it:

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 872853  Size: SH

1. Turn the ignition OFF.
  2. Disconnect the EGR valve harness connector.
  3. Remove the EGR valve attachment bolts and EGR valve and gasket.

Notice: The EGR valve should not be soaked in any solvent. Otherwise damage to the electrical solenoid and position sensor could result.

Notice: Remove all loose deposits from the EGR inlet passage, otherwise they could clog the EGR valve.

4. Inspect the cylinder head, EGR valve, and adapter passages for excessive carbon deposits. Deposits can be removed using a screwdriver.
  5. Clean the EGR valve mounting surfaces and inspect for scoring and cracks.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 872853  Size: SH

Important: Ensure the gasket is installed correctly or a vacuum leak will occur.

1. Install the new EGR valve gasket.
  2. Install the EGR valve.
  3. Install the EGR valve attachment bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the EGR Valve-to-Head bolts to 25 N·m (19 lb ft).

4. Connect the EGR valve harness connector. Push in the connector until a click is heard and pull back to confirm a positive engagement.
  5. Start the engine and inspect for exhaust gas leaks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response! After changing the EGR valve will the CLE cut off automatically?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer the light will not clear immediately, the computer needs to see the egr run successful a number of times before it will clear the code, you could also clear the code with a scantool too.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, after $160.00 spent on your advice to change the EGR valve, I'm still getting that pesky code: U1301-"Class 2 short to battery" that you told not to worry about because it would clear itself. Am I going to have to pay another $15 to ask my question again?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.

No, I will help you with that code, though it is completely unrelated to the EGR. Replacing the EGR did help with code p0404, I'm sure of that much. Normally vehicles will get U codes from time to time for one reason or another and often they go away, usually U codes are communication codes between modules and tiny glitches occur where a module doesn't communicate with the rest of the modules for a second and all of a sudden you get a bunch of U codes. In your case, we may have something different and I will try to help.

First I need to know did you erase the codes and did you check afterwards if the code was current?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. You're right! The EGR code did NOT come back after changing the old valve with a brand new one.... When I asked my original question, I was thinking that both of those codes were related to each other. Yes, I did erase the codes and made sure that no DTC's were present afterwards. Then I disconnected the scan tool and reconnected it again and the code was back...I then turned off the ignition, disconnected the scan tool again without erasing the code that came back and now it read two codes which were the same and then after repeating the process the 3rd time, the codes (3) of them the same came back and now the "Service Engine Light" too came on.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Could you please provide me with all three codes and I will try to help you tomorrow as it is getting late today. P.S. does your scantool read live data or does it only read codes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
All three codes were U1301; that's cool...just whenever you get a chance. Thank you.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Thank-you for being patient.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sure... no problem. Have a good night.