Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

the diagram for finding the thermostat in a 99 isuzu rodeo

Customer Question

the diagram for finding the thermostat in a 99 isuzu rodeo is not accurate. where is the thermostat?
Submitted: 7 years ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Not showing on my end. What model and what engine? 4x4?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
OK, I will send that location in a minute, Thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Drain engine coolant from the radiator and engine.
  3. Disconnect radiator hose from the inlet pipe.
  4. Remove thermostat housing.
  5. Remove thermostat (2).

Suspend the thermostat in a water-filled container using thin wire. Place a thermometer next to the thermostat. Do not directly heat the thermostat.

Gradually increase the water temperature. Stir the water cm that the entire water is same temperature.
Confirm the temperature when the valve first begins to open.

Valve opening temperature 74.5°C - 78.5°C (166.1°F - 173.3°F)

Confirm the temperature when the valve is fully opened.

Valve full open temperature and lift More than 8.5mm (0.33 inch) at 90°C - (194°F)

Make necessary repair and parts replacement if extreme wear or damage is found during inspection.

1. Install thermostat into the outlet pipe(4) making sure that the air hole is in the up position.
  2. Install thermostat housing and tighten bolts to the specified torque. Torque: 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.)
  3. Installation rubber hose.
  4. Replenish Engine Coolant (EC).
  5. Start engine and check for EC leakage.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if only it were that simple. i removed all the bolts holding on the thermostat housing but the back of it is still attached to a metal pipe that goes back under the intake manifold. i don't know what this pipe is but it is not letting me remove the thermostat housing.
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Is the pipe welded as part of the housing or does it look like it may be pressed in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is definitley seperate from the housing but its hard to tell how it is attached because its on the back. there is a bracket welded onto the little pipe that the housing is bolted to, which would lead me to think that the pipe itself is not actually attached to the housing, but it presses right up against the housing and no matter how hard i hit it with a hammer it's still attached.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
by the way that diagram that you posted is the same one from chiltons and it is completely inaccurate. which is very frustrating...