david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

How do I change the cam belt on my 95 Diamante

Category: Car
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

Removal and install of the camshaft/timing belt

1. Position the engine so the No. 1 cylinder is at TDC of its compression stroke.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the engine undercover.
  4. Remove the cruise control actuator.
  5. Remove the alternator. Remove the air hose and pipe.
  6. Remove the belt tensioner assembly and the power steering belt.
  7. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  8. Disconnect the brake fluid level sensor.
  9. Remove the timing belt upper cover.
  10. Using the proper equipment, slightly raise the engine to take the weight off the side engine mount. Remove the engine mount bracket.
  11. Remove the alternator/air conditioner idler pulley.
  12. Remove the engine support bracket. The mounting bolts are different lengths; mark them for proper installation.
  13. Remove the timing belt lower cover. Timing bolt cover mounting bolts are different in length, note their position during removal.
  14. Remove the bolts that secure the auto-tensioner to the engine block and remove the tensioner.

Be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds after the negative battery cable is disconnected to prevent possible deployment of the air bag

WARNING
Turning the camshaft sprocket when the timing belt is removed could cause the valves to contact with the pistons, resulting in severe engine damage.

Sprocket alignment for timing belt installation - 1995-96 Diamante with the 3.0L (6G73) DOHC engine

graphic

To install:

NOTE: The auto-tensioner assembly must be reset to correctly adjust belt tension.

1. Loosen the center bolt of tensioner pulley to provide timing belt slack.
  2. Remove the timing belt assembly.
  3. Position the auto-tensioner into a vise with soft jaws. The plug at the rear of tensioner protrudes, be sure to use a washer as a spacer to protect the plug from contacting vise jaws.
  4. Slowly push the rod into the tensioner until the set hole in rod is aligned with set hole in the auto-tensioner.
  5. Insert a 0.055 in. (1.4mm) wire into the aligned set holes. Remove the tensioner from the vise and install it on the engine.
  6. Tighten tensioner mounting bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
  7. Align the mark on the crankshaft sprocket with the mark on the front case. Then, move the crankshaft sprocket 1 tooth counterclockwise.
  8. Align the timing marks of the camshafts with the marks on the rear covers.
  9. Using large paper clips to secure the timing belt to the sprockets, install the timing belt in the following order. Be sure camshafts-to-cylinder heads and crankshaft-to-front cover timing marks are aligned. Install the timing belt around the pulleys in the following order:
    Exhaust camshaft sprocket (front bank).
    Intake camshaft sprocket (front bank).
    Water pump pulley.
    Intake camshaft sprocket (rear bank).
    Exhaust camshaft sprocket (rear bank).
    Tensioner pulley.
    Crankshaft pulley.
    Idler pulley.
  10. Align all timing marks on the crankshaft and raise the tensioner pulley against the belt to remove slack, snug tensioner bolt.
  11. Check the alignment of all the timing marks and remove the clips that secure the timing belt to the camshaft sprockets.
  12. Rotate the engine 14 turn counterclockwise, then rotate the engine clockwise to align the timing marks. Check that all the timing marks are in alignment.
  13. Loosen the center bolt on the tensioner pulley.
  14. Using tool MD998752 or equivalent and a torque wrench, apply 84 inch lbs. (10 Nm) to the tool on the tensioner. Tighten the tensioner bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (49 Nm) and be sure the tensioner does not rotate with the bolt.
  15. Rotate the crankshaft two complete turns clockwise and let it sit for approximately five minutes. Then, check that the set pin can easily be inserted and removed from the hole in the auto-tensioner.
  16. Remove the set wire attached to the auto-tensioner.
  17. Measure the auto-tensioner protrusion (the distance between the tensioner arm and auto-tensioner body) to ensure that it is within 0.15-0.18 in. (3.8-4.5mm). If out of specification, repeat adjustment procedure until the specified value is obtained.
  18. Check again that the timing marks on all sprockets are in proper alignment.
  19. Install the timing belt covers and all other applicable components.

NOTE: Since the camshaft sprockets turn easily, secure them with box wrenches when installing the timing belt.

Hope this helps

Good luck

david, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines