Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  Tires Plus
10675526

2005 Cadillac STS: CD changer..the vehicle is parked - (who sits

I have a 2005 Cadillac STS with the six DVD/CD changer. The system only allows me to watch video when the vehicle is parked - (who sits in the car and watches movies)? My salesperson told me the feature can be turned off to allow video while driving but he took a different job before I had a chance to obtain the information from him on how to do it. PLease advise???
Category: Car
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you.

Unfortunately there is no way to "officially" operate the DVD system while the vehicle is in drive. It is illegal to have an entertainment device that can operate in view of the driver. That is why the system must be in park in order to view the DVD.

Some people have developed a system to trick the DVD into believing that the system is in park, even though you are in drive. There have been multiple attempts to reprogram the systems to get around it, but I have not found anyone able to "crack" the system.

These bypass boxes are plug and play, require no wire cutting or splicing, and can be installed in about 20-30 minutes. I have provided a link below to where you can purchase one:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/159511-have-some-dvd-navigation-bypass-boxes.html

AGAIN, THIS IS NOT AN APPROVED MODIFICATION FOR YOUR VEHICLE. THIS IS ILLEGAL IN MOST STATES, AND YOU WILL GET A TICKET IF A POLICE OFFICER SEES THE DVD PLAYER PLAYING WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING OR STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS IN MY PROFESSIONAL OPINION.

But my opinion does not change the fact that this can and is being done!!