Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.

91 oldsmobile regency: jumped..started fine..wont start..light comes

Customer Question

Hi,, i think im having security problems with my 91 oldsmobile regency elite,,it had a dead battey a week or so ago,,we jumped it and it started fine,,got to where we were going shut it off,,and the next day it wouldnt do anything because of a dead battery,,we bought a new battery and put it in,,now it wont start,,it seems to have juice but a security light comes on,,is this a safety mechanism??? how do i bypass it????any help would be great...
Category: Car
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.

Does the key have a black chip in it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes,,i beleive its black,,its my grandmas car so i cant just run out and check,,it deffinately has a chip in the key though...i can call her if you need the exact color????

Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Sometimes a new key will make it start if you have the chip. Have it cut at a GM dealer.