Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.
15218643

1986 Oldsmobile Regency: 3.8L..000 miles..electronic..emergency brake

My 1986 Oldsmobile Regency, 3.8L, 58,000 miles has a red "brake" light on the dash panel that is on all the time and there is a bell that ringsmost of the time. I have had the brakes checked and they are okay. Is there an electronic sensor that indicates the emergency brake is on? I have checked that and it is not engaged. Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Anthony replied 8 years ago.
The brake light is connected to the e-brake, brake propotining vave and the brake fluid level sensor. Disconnect all three and see if it goes out. Reconnect one at a time to see which one is at fault. The proportining valve can be found by tracing the brake lines out of the master cylinder, it will be just below it, if not it will be close by. The brake fluid level sensor is mounted on the side of the brake fluid reservior on top of the master cylinder. The e-brake switch is mounted to the brake pedal assy. under the dash.