Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.

1999 Cadillac DeVille: code - torque converter clutch switch stuck on

On my 1999 Cadillac DeVille - check engine P0471 code - torque converter clutch switch stuck on. I have read all the articles but no more has no one has come back to tell everyone what works and doesn't work. On I found that the common transmission for my 99 DeVille is - 4T80E transmission - The following solenoids and switches matched   - 1. Solenoid Lock Up (TCC) lock-up 1993+ -Part# XXXXX $16.54.     2. Part # XXXXX Solenoid, 4T80E (93-03) 4L30E Borg Warner $53.93       3. Part # XXXXX - Solenoid assembly 4T80E, 1-2 & 2-3 Shift w/ Bracket 1993-99 only $69.08    4. Switch - Part #: 94411A Manifold pressure & range sensor 1993-99 $51.65

That's a very difficult repair, you have to remove the transmission to get to those parts. Are you planning on removing the trans. yourself????

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have friend who is good with cars - if we have remove the transmission - we would only do it if he is comfortable - otherwise we take it to an expert.
Ok. I would reccomend that you change all of the solenoids, the internal wiring harness and the torque convertor if you just want to get it working. Otherwise send the unit out for a full rebuild.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there more than the two solenoids that I listed above? I didn't find the internal wire harness listed on this website. Where I can I find that cost and the cost of the torque convertor? Also, any idea on cost for the full rebuild at a transmission shop? Just trying to look at all options. Thanks.
A full rebuild should be between 1200 and 2000 depending if any hard parts are bad, example of hard part is the case or differential. There are four solenoids total, I would reccomend getting the parts through a GM dealer though for resons of overall quality and fitment. A rebuilt torque convertor should come from the person rebuilding the trans. They are about 200-300 rebuilt.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the $1200 to 2000 if you do it or a transmission shop do it?
No thats if you do it. But sometimes they discount the install fee if you let them handle the whole thing.