George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

2005 Kia Amanti: The transmission oil appeared..leaking..shift..gears

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Kia Amanti. The transmission oil appeared low and I added SPF III to it. It is now leaking some oil and it does not want to shift into any gears. Do I need a new transmission or is it a matter of a transmission filter and draining the transmission fluid and replacing the ring?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

How did you check the fluid level and what was its condition?

How much fluid did you add?

Did the transmission shift correctly before this?

Are you the original owner and how many miles do you have on this car?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
with the dip stick after it ran for 15 minutes and let sit for 3 minutes. There was barely anything on the stick and the color was black. I added 2 quarts. It was shifting fine prior to this. It has 78,000 miles on it and I bought it with 23,000 miles on as used car dealership.
Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

If i understand you added two quarts after checking the level and the engine was off when you checked the level?

The fluid was black on the tip of the stick? How is the color now? How is the level with the engine running and the car on a level surface?

You didn't buy an extended warranty with the car?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The color now is dark and the car is on level surface. The oil level is a little low and it was check while the car was running. No, I did not purchase an extended warranty.
Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

I have to agree that this transmission needs replacement. The good news is that there is a remanufactured transmission available from the dealer for $916. according to my price guide. Check with the dealer for current pricing information.

When I was with the dealer we did 2-3 replacements a week so this is not an uncommon occurance but other manufacturers do not have a better track record either.

Sorry for the bad news I wish I had better for you