George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

2001 isuzu rodeo v6, trying to replace the spark plugs. Removed

2001 isuzu rodeo v6, trying to replace the spark plugs. Removed the top coil, can not remove the black rubber boot. I tried plyers, it ripped one side of the boot, tried needle nose on the center connection, found out its a spring. Used a screw driver to try and free the boot, nothing. How do you remove the spark plug???
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Hello I will answer your question,

I usually use a set of valve stem seal pliers to remove the plug boots. A shot of compressed air does a good job of loosening them also. Of course twist them back and forth will help also.

At this point you should plan on replacing the boots along with the plugs. Use NGK plugs only PK16PR11 for your application. Note that coil # XXXXX is different than all the rest so keep it in place. If you cannot get the plug boots off with a screwdriver or anything else you can break the top off the plug with a sharp blow and remove thee rest. Keep any debris from falling into the combustion chamber by blowing out the plug well after loosening the plug one turn.

The standard labor time for this job is 1.1 hours

If you have questions please ask