Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

2004 jaguar x-type: 2.5 after hitting a pothole the car will not start

how do you reset the computer on a 2004 jaguar x-type 2.5 after hitting a pothole the car will not start

HelloCustomer Your car has an inertia switch, otherwise known as a fuel cutoff switch. It will cut off power to the fuel pump in the case of a collision. The pot hole may have tripped the switch. It is located under the cowl trim in the engine compartment near the firewall. To reset it, simply push the recess button on it. If you look in your owner's manual you will find reference to it as well as locations and directions. If you need, I have some, but your manual will be a better source of detailed info. If you press the button and you hear or feel a click, that was the case, it tripped. Let me know what happens.

Your JA Expert,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
unfortunately, I do not have the manual and was unable to locate the switch to try your suggestion.

Ok, here is some information to help you. When you find it, it will be a quick procedure to reset it. It will be under the plastic trim near the firewall area.

graphicgraphicRemove side cowl trim.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
these drawings are vague..i removed the plastic lining around the passenger front tire and i didn't see it.

I knew that in almost every Jaguar I have seen, it's located in that kick panel, and when I found the location to be in the engine compartment, I found it odd, but I figured it must be right. I apologize and appreciate the info for the future. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX'm glad you got going.