George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

Timing right on an 1998 isuzu rodeo with the v6 motor?

Customer Question

how do i get my timing right on an 1998 isuzu rodeo with the v6 motor?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

When you say you want to set the timing belt or ignition timing?

The belt timing marks

graphic

The ignition timing is set by the PCM and is not adjustable

Let me know what you need and I will help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i know where the marks are. what do i line them up with? there are knotches and lines on the pullies which ones do you line up? and do you routate them until they spring into place?
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

OK now I understand you question better

This is the odd bank

graphic

graphic

IMPORTANT: Due to the loss of the reference timing, you will have to rotate this camshaft sprocket until the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket "springs" into the 120 'clock position. This may require up to 9 revolutions. If the camshaft does not spring to the 12 0 'clock position, camshaft timing will be incorrect.

This is the even bank

graphic

Time the camshafts on the even numbered bank cylinders (driver side), using the two step process.

(a)Rotate the even bank camshaft sprocket clock-wise until the cam sprocket "springs" to the 9 O'clock position. (figure

graphic

b)Rotate the even bank camshaft sprocket an additional 90 degrees (clockwise) to the 12 o'clock position and align the camshaft sprocket mark with the mark embossed on the cylinder head cover. (figure 12)

IMPORTANT: Step 23-b is necessary to achieve the correct camshaft timing for the odd bank of cylinders. Failure to perform this last step will result in incorrect valve timing.

NOTE: Install the timing belt following the procedures outlined in following steps. Make sure that timing marks are not disturbed during this operation. After installing the timing belt, make sure that all the timing marks are in their proper position. It is very easy to mis-install the belt and be off a tooth, which could cause driveability problems.

24.

With the timing marks in their proper position, position the timing belt with marks, noting the direction of rotation

graphic

graphic

graphic

After installing timing belt make sure that all the timing marks are still in their proper position and have not been disturbed during the tensioning of the belt. (figure 18)

IMPORTANT: If you have resistance while rotating the engine by hand, do not continue. The valves may be contacting the pistons due to incorrect valve timing. Recheck the camshafts and crankshafts sprockets to be sure they are correctly aligned with their marks. Serious engine damage could occur if the belt is improperly installed.

28.Remove the binding clips.

29.Rotate crankshaft pulley a minimum of 2 complete turns (clockwise) and inspect if the timing marks have returned to the same position (# XXXXX Piston on TDC). If it has returned to the same position then continue to Step 31. If there is resistance, please refer to the IMPORTANT note stated above.

If you have questions please ask