Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

2001 Jaguar XJ8: 000 miles..The engine turns over, but it..spark

I have a 2001 Jaguar XJ8 with 40,000 miles. It was working fine a day ago - then I just went out to start it now and it will not start. The engine turns over, but it does not even seem to be getting a spark. ideas?

the first thing I would check is the ECU getting power from its relay/ fuse? If it is can you hear the fuel pump prime when the key is first turned to ignition?

If not also check that relay / fuse and the wring to the pump.

If theres no power to the ECU or fuel pump then its most likely the alarm system.

you can try and reset this by removing the battery lead for 10mins then reconnecting whilst holding down the disarm button on the fob.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey Matt - thanks for the reply...the fuel pump does not seem to I want to try the reset you spkoe do I hold down the "lock" button on the key fob and then disconnect the battery? The release the "lock" button and wait for 10 mins and reconnect?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry Matt _ I read it again and I see...

Disconnect the power

Wait ten min

reconnect while holding down "unlock"

hi jim

If you can get a meter onto the ECU supply and its getting power then the immobiliser won't be at fault. If its not priming I woudl concentrate on the fuel pump power supply first , even try running a fresh cable to the battery directly to the pump to force it into life so you can positively identify the problem.