mastertechy, Technician
Experience:  9 years Experience, Master Mechanic

Mazda 3: wrecked..the hood and started system

Customer Question

I bought a wrecked mazda 3 and started changing out parts. It started when we picked it up, but since we took off the hood and started changing out parts, the car will not start. Not sure if it is the security system or something else. The car has been on a battery charger, and there is a cylindrical piece with something that will move back and forth inside, that didn't look factory, screwed to the bottom of the original hood that we have not yet attached. Also, when first hooked up to the battery charger, the car alarm was always going off--but now it doesn't.
Category: Car
Expert:  mastertechy replied 7 years ago.

Hey Nightflight, thanks for your question.

This car likey has a factory alarm system installed, which works with a hood switch, try to find it on the vehicle somewhere (not on hood) and depress it. This might get you started. If not, and the alarm has somehow been tripped,and needs some attention

Try this to remedy it:

key into ignition
- turn to ON
- turn back off
- push little button behind blue alarm light by your leg area 3x

you will hear 2 soft horn beeps confirming programming.

Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for responding back, but since we have limited time before I have to leave town, I tried buying a new battery. It worked.

FYI, no hood switch, no blue light and button.

I'm glad you got her going, I assumed the battery was strong from your post and failed to mention that the procedure was only for Mazda 3's that have a Karr alarm system installed from the factory.

Thanks for your question.