rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2002 mitsubishi galant: 6 cyl..idling..middle of highway traffic

Customer Question

I had a timing belt replaced on my 2002 mitsubishi galant 6 cyl with 94000 miles on 1/30/09. When I picked it up it kept idling and I had to keep gunning the gas paddle to keep it from dying. It kept dying on me in the middle of highway traffic. Somehow I made it back to the shop and yesterday they presented me with the "aic" needs replacing now which I was informed was very expensive also. Needless to say I was not happy and now I am driving a rental and my car is in their shop until they get the iac . Is it possible for this to happen or is these just another here comes a woman at our mercy scheme?
Category: Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Make sure they guarantee this will fix it, it really sounds fishy to me. I think they just neglected to re-train the IAC when they had the battery disconnected to do the other work. The vehicle needs to be started within (15) minutes of battery re-connect to start the training process of the IAC, new or old, then driven under various conditions including much idling to train it.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So in other words, the timing belt does not have anything to do with th aic? Because that is what I was led to believe. I know the car is older but is it common for the aic to go out?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 years ago.

The only thng they have in common, is when the battery gets disconnected, the IAC needs to be re-trained.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANKS THIS HELPED ALOT!
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 years ago.

You bet