OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

2000 Porsche Boxster S: 30k miles..check engine check..dealership

Hi, I have a 2000 Porsche Boxster S with 30k miles on it and the check engine check has came on what could the problem be? Is there anything that I can check or should it go to the dealership? THANKS!!
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The check engine light comes on to indicate that the computer has found a fault and stored it in the system. To find what the computer has stored you must do an OBDII scan. The best thing to do is to go to autozone and ask for an OBDII scan. They will do it at no charge (rather than paying dealership $90). Ask for a print out and code definition (also free). That will tell you what needs to be repaired/replaced. It could be as simple as a loose gas cap, even that will trigger the check engine light. Once you have fixed it ask them to reset the light for you, the will turn the light off.