rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

1992 Subaru Legacy: engine is to lift the bonnet..cranking

My 1992 Subaru Legacy (2000 GL) intermmitently refuses to start mainly after a short run. The engine turns over but there is no spark. The usual solution (believe me) is to lift the bonnet and wait for three or four minutes before cranking the engine again. Usually the engine then fires, and runs with a healthy spark. I am inclined to suspect the spark generator or the ecs coil but is there anything else which can mask spark generation when starting. There seems to be an element of temperature dependency, I never have any problem starting from cold
Category: Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like a transistor is opening due to excessive heat, then closing again after cool down occurs. These transistors are incorporated in the control module. Soon, you won't be this fortunate to getting it started. Needs new module!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If as you are saying the fault lies with the control module would a re-tune using the engine diagnostic code confirm this fault?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 years ago.

Probably not, that will normally ste a code for misfires and things like that. It wouldn't catch a module failure.