Steve
Steve, Mechanic Wide Ranging
Experience:  22yrs Auto,Truck,Tractor Trailer,Heavy Equipment, Industrial Truck,Forklift,Motor Coach,Tour Bus

98 Kia Sportage 4 cyl./4 speed/ 4 wheel drive. After missing on cyl.

I have a 98 Kia Sportage 4 cyl./4 speed/XXXXX After missing on cyl. 1 & eventually # XXXXX it finally quit starting. Mechanic has replaced plugs, wires, & timing belt. Checked fuel pump and it maintaned pressure overnight. Computer is sending pulse to injectors and coils test okay. In fact my mech. even has tried a used computer. Car still refuses to start and has both me and the mechanic baffled and clutching at straws. Any ideas out there?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Take a compression test, head gaskets can

blow between two cylinders and not lose or

leak water.

If you have readings like:

1)80 2)80 3) 120 4) 120

That would mean blown gasket.

To back it up you can use a two

part compression gauge with a

quick release on it and hook up

a compressed air line and see if

the air blows out of the cylinder

next to it.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
head gasket has been checked. This doesn't appear to be the problem.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Ok lets see:

I'll go with this scenario

1)Your compression is good

2)You have fuel

3)May or may have pulled valve cover

and inspected valve train, if compression

is solid then you may not have

4) You have spark

Have you tried using carb cleaner to start it,

or even starter fluid(although I never recomend that)

that would also rule out water or bad fuel.

If yes and it still doesn't start then I would say the engine

is not breathing.

I have had this happen before when a converter or muffler has

collapsed inside clogging the exaust and not letting the engine

breath.

Try dropping the front pipe at the manifold or at the cat, as long

as the pipe is open and then try it.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All has been done. Car did run briefly on Friday when starter fluid was used. Getting a G sensor reading from ECM
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Steve;

Sorry that I have held out on releasing the measly $9, but have been waiting to hear back from my mech. He is going to try dropping the front pipe.

Head gasket ok at 130 across the board

40 lbs pressure going to fuel rail

Injectors have pulse.

When plugs are pulled they are dry.

Mech did mention that there are small vacuum lines leading to injectors which he has never seen before, Another possible culprit????

Again sorry for holding the cash, but will release immediately following next reply.

Thank-you for your assist

Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Don't pay unless your totally satisfied that you recieved

help.

I haven't seen the vacuum lines either, atleast I can't remember

if I have.

I'll look into that and see if I can find out.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Drop the pipe to be sure it is not a problem.

Other things to do:

You said it ran on starter fluid, try running it

on carb cleaner and see if it will stay running,

just keep spraying the cleaner in while it is running.

(do not substitute brake cleaner for carb cleaner, fumes are deadly)

Also it would be a good idea to run a good amount of fuel

from the rail into a jar and get a good look at it to make sure

it is fuel and not water or sludge.

Steve

Steve, Mechanic Wide Ranging
Experience: 22yrs Auto,Truck,Tractor Trailer,Heavy Equipment, Industrial Truck,Forklift,Motor Coach,Tour Bus
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Steve. We appreciate your input. I will release the funds and keep you posted