George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

2000 infiniti: act clutch kit..extreme pressure plate put

i just had a act clutch kit with a performance street dics and a extreme pressure plate put on my stock 2000 infiniti g 20t and its not going into gear what are some reasons and solutions for this        thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

Hello I will answer your questions,

Have you tried to actuate the clutch release lever by hand?

If the lever will release the clutch and pressing the pedal will not there is a problem in the hydraulic system.

If the lever will not release the clutch then the disc or throwout bearing may not be installed correctly and the transmission will need to be removed to identify the problem

Did the transmission shift correctly before the clutch replacement?

Does the shift lever feel normal except for not going into gear?

Can you get into any gear with the engine off?

Was the clutch number NX9-HDSS?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Did the transmission shift correctly before the clutch replacement? yes

Does the shift lever feel normal except for not going into gear? yes

Can you get into any gear with the engine off? yes

Was the clutch number NX9-HDSS

QTY MANUFACTURER PART # XXXXX
--- ------------------- ---------- ------------------------
1 ACT (A85)(NNN) NNN-NNNNSTREET DISC NISSN 215M
1 ACT (A85) AT68 CLUTCH ALIGNMENT TOOL
1 ACT (A85) N011X ACT XTREME PRESSURE PLATE
1 ACT (A85) PB1012 PILOT BRNG
1 ACT (A85) RB433 RELEASE BRNG

Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

If you actuate the shift lever by hand does the clutch release?

I am trying to determine if you have a hydraulic problem or if the problem is with the clutch setup.

On the surface the pressure plate iyou have s not offered in conjunction with the solid disc and may not pull all the way off the disc but first tell me whether you can manually release the clutch and if the problem is inside or outside (clutch setup or hydraulic)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

dont really understand the questions

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

dont really understand the questions

can u call me or that not applicable if you can mu number is XXXXX /p>

Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

The only communication permitted is thru this site so I cannot call you.

When you or a helper steps on the clutch pedal does the slave cylinde push the actuating lever on the transmission?graphic

#21 in this picture?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes it does shuold i just put back the old pressure plate could it be that the pressure plate is just too stiff
Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

The pressure plate that you listed is only shown to be used with a four pad disc not the solid disc that you listed as installed. If this was a kit you purchased I would contact ACT and see if this is the correct disc/pressure plate setup for your application. If the parts were purchased seperatly i would still ask them if they will work together before I took the trans out again.

The transmission is flush to the engine block right? It went in without forcing?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes its flush and it slid right in without any problem but the kit i bought was the right kit because i even spoke to a sales rep befire purchasing it. is there a way to tell if it was installed wrong wen i take it back off and thats my last question
Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

I want to make sure I understand the clutch lever moves back and forth when you work the clutch pedal, correct?

According to the numbers the disc or the pressure plate is wrong This is a link to their page where they have the kits for your car. You can see the numbers don't match from the pressure plate to the disc. The TO bearing is the same for all the kits

If the center of the disc is warped (trans hung on disc when installing) the runout of the disc acn be checked. If the flywheel was machined it should have been shimmed the amount of the machining cut. and if the throwout bearing was not hung on the forks of the throwout lever correctly. These are some of the things that could have happened in the installation

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

thanks for your help

Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

Glad to be of service. I hope you get to the bottom of this without too much trouble.

Thank you for using JA