Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Re-certified Technician, 22 yrs. Dealer and Independent Repair World Class High Performance Expe

97 blazer: 4.3 L 4X4 loses power air bag lite comes

97 blazer 4.3 L 4X4 loses power air bag lite comes on and volt meter pegs to right with lites very brite. Lasts 3 to 4 seconds then back to normal repeats 3 or 4 times then continues normally. The last time I turned key off and back on and stopped it with one cycle. Any Ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Carfix4you replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer and welcome to Just Answer. At any time you have any questions, need wiring diagrams, images, or service information, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to help you solve your vehicles problem. The voltage regulator inside the alternator is failing. What you see on the dash is the results of overcharging. 12volt components are not made to run on more than 15.3 volts.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WIll the voltage going high cause the engine to shut off?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi carfix4you, Sorry for the delay, Although it checked out Ok on the diagnostic equip. I replaced the alternator yesterday and was waiting to see if the problem was going to repeat itself. However your answer sounds teasonable do I will accept it.

Thanks, Jim (Customer)