OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

1994 Subaru: liberty..The engine cuts out when driving

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Subaru liberty auto. The engine cuts out when driving. Sometimes will not start. Check engine light comes on. No spark to the plugs. Gets spark back and starts but will stop again frequently.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The best thing to do is hook it up to a live data to see what sensor is giving false reading. This is typically caused by a bad crankshaft or camshaft sensor. However if a wire is cut between the sensor and the computer you can change sensors all you want and you'd be chasing ghosts. Your best bet is to have it hook up to a live data to see what signal is low.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, this is not much help to me. What equipment do u need to get the data. Can u find it with a multimeter. It has been to the local Subaru dealer where it has been serviced since new in 1990. Surely they would have picked up any code errors.