Elated Technician
Elated Technician, ASE Advanced Master Technician
Experience:  16 yrs exp, Auto/Diesel Associates degree, ASE Master w/ Advanced cert, Saab Master and BMW level 4

2001 saab: 5 sedan 6 cy..previous owner..service records..drives

Customer Question

I just buy a 2001 saab 9-5 sedan 6 cy 59000 miles, previous owner don't say much about service records te car looks and drives excellent, I lake your opinion on service the car complete, I like know what kind of service you advised me and what will the cost.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Here is your maintenance interval HERE

Look at the 35K mark, if that has not been done that you will need to have that done. Depending on what your going to do as far as replacing, your looking at anywhere from $300-$600.
Expert:  Elated Technician replied 5 years ago.

Hello Orlando 540,

I see that another expert has sent an answer on the topic of servicing your Saab. I have worked on the cars for years and feel I can offer some real world working advice to help give you years of service from your car.

The V-6 has a few things particular about it you should know. First is that it has a timing belt which should be replaced at 60,000 miles. The good thing is that it is free to have it replaced at a dealer. You can take it by a dealer to make sure it has not been replaced yet. If it has not been replaced yet, you may consider replacing the belt at no charge and have some timing belt idlers replaced at your cost. Saab will not pay for the idlers/tensioner. They fail often enough to carefully consider the replacement to avoid major engine damage. At $400 they are not cheap, but it is a good idea. I would do it if I had a V6 in my saab.

The rest of the service is going to run you about $500. There is no 35k service, only 10k, 20k...60k is the largest service. I suggest running fully synthetic oil and change it every 5,000 miles/one year to avoid costly sludge. Have them replace the PCV valve at the same time. They always fail and are simple to install.

You don't have to have the rest of the 60k service done at the dealer, only the belt. If all you have for Saab service is a dealer, then use them. You want an expert looking at the car who knows all of the Saab quirks and can advise you of upcoming issues.

Regards,
Jason

Experience: 16 yrs exp, Auto/Diesel Associates degree, ASE Master w/ Advanced cert, Saab Master and BMW level 4