Jake2890
Jake2890, Technician
Experience:  10 Years of experiance, Auto Repair Shop Owner

2000 seville: scraping sound coming..windsheild..more pronounced

Customer Question

my car has a growling and scraping sound coming from the upper left hand corner over the heating just under the windsheild it seems more pronounced when it is cold it is a dragging grunting sound, my car is a 2000 seville
Category: Car
Expert:  Jake2890 replied 5 years ago.
Sound like heater blower motor making noise, going out on you. Im assuming on the passenger side of the car.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is on the driver side of the car, it grunts and scratches as if a chain is loose an make funny sounds
Expert:  Jake2890 replied 5 years ago.
does it make the noise with the heater on or off. Does it possibly sound like a whining. Does the sound change when you put it into gear
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it makes the noise when it's on and off it is sometimes a bit like whining

the sound does not change, the gear or anything does not seem to matter, it seem to slow down as the car warms up and at times it will stop the longer it goes it warms up and quit

Expert:  Jake2890 replied 5 years ago.
i would have to check my books on monday if you can wait but it sounds like a heater blower motor making noise. i will find a diagram for the heater system. I haven't had to replace one on a cad yet.
Jake2890, Technician
Experience: 10 Years of experiance, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Expert:  Jake2890 replied 5 years ago.
Okay looked in my book. Looks like there is a auxilary blower motor about in the middle of the dash area. They can make the noise like that. See if you can pin point it a little more and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when I drove sunday the noise came on as soon as i started the engine, i noticed that the info center on the panel said check security and the noise was going like a whining and scratching , i turned off the engine and restarted it to get rid of the warning and the noise stopped. I have learned to restart the engine whenever those warning signs come on, check security system, check all kind of things,i would keep my car in the shop and it never helped so i am broke from trying to keep up those warnings. now this noise is coming on with the warnings and if i restart the car it all stop this electronic dash is a real headache with a thousand warnings, it will tell you to check your engine for trouble if you dont screw the gas guage on tight, i learned that from the dealer after paying for that a couple times, the noise is still there, What should i do?
Expert:  Jake2890 replied 5 years ago.
If you step on your brake pedal can you feel it under your feet. Does it sound like the ABS motor making noise.