Jay
Jay, Mechanic
Experience:  4 yrs experience with Gm, 6 years in automotive shops trained at SAIT
12620940

Engine block..The oil cap is not the correct one and is loose at best

Customer Question

Hello. I was washing the engie of my car and think that i got water into the engine block. The oil cap is not the correct one and is loose at best. I dried out the spark plugs but the car still is not drivig well ad the check engine light is flashing. If i change the oil will the problem be fixed or should i do more than change the oil?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer if your check engine light is flashing it is more than just water in the oil but under the circumstances I would change the oil because you think water got into the crankcase. Now if the engine light is flashing that likely means you have a missfire and I would suggest removing the sparkplugs and changing them or drying them quite well and making sure that the holes the sparkplugs go into are dry as well, in fact make sure that where the plugs are connected is dry as well.
Jay, Mechanic
Experience: 4 yrs experience with Gm, 6 years in automotive shops trained at SAIT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

water getting into the crakshaft wont ruin anything?

I feel it is the spark plugs. I will chage them tommorow. they where wet. I dried them and sucked out all the excess water with the wet vac.

The water in the crank shaft is what I am worried about

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok. Thanks Much. Good piece of mind.

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

Don't get me wrong water will cause problems down the road, so I would change your oil but I don't think it is causing your check engine light to come on.