Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Blown..the check engine soon light comes on, and the cruise control

Customer Question

1991 Caddy 4.9L. A 15 amp blade fuse located underneath the glove compartment and heater ducting (didn't know it was even there) has blown three times in the past few months that I think may be related to the use of the A/C. When it blows, the a/c stops blowing cold air, the check engine soon light comes on, and the cruise control won't work. The most troubling though, is that the transmission is stuck in drive unless I use the shifter manually and then I think it only goes into 2nd until I shift up. No automatic downshift either. What is causing this? Thanks in advance. Terry
Category: Car
Expert:  ABKirsch replied 7 years ago.

Is there a pink/black wire running to the fuse?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No way to determine this. The eight blade fuses are in an open front box with a sealed rear (of the box) and no way to see which wires go to which fuses. Looking at the box, there are two rows of four fuses and the 15 amp one that goes out is the bottom left most fuse--if that helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>Haven't heard from you so I tried a 20 amp fuse but everytime I turn on the A/C the fuse blows. Any clues as to the cause? I now know now its directly connected to the A/C somehow but the transmission won't shift and the cruise control doesn't work when it blows as well.</p><p>Thanks, Terry</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How about a response?