Ted the Technician
Ted the Technician, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Former GM Master Technician, Former Lexus Master Diagnostic Specialist

2000 Oldsmobile Alero: sound coming..tensioner..heated..back together

I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero, when I put it in gear and back up or go forward there is a popping sound coming from the front left side. It does not do it all the time and it does not do it at full speed. I had to replace the tensioner pully (it seperated) and the car over heated, and after I put it back together I noticed this popping. Do you have any ideas what it might be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted the Technician replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I'm Ted.

Is the noise on the drivers side or passenger side of the vehicle?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
passenger side
When you replaced the belt and tensioner you had to remove the upper motor mount. It sounds like maybe the mount is loose. The torque on the bolts is near 100 ft/lbs and the nuts are 50. Even a little loose could cause a noise. I would recheck the mount bolts and nuts.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have checked both of those
The mount may be in a bind. Maybe try to loosen the bolts and then see if the noise changes. Resettle the mount and retorque.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is also a roar when you are driving it full speed, could that be the wheel bearing?