Ted the Technician
Ted the Technician, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Former GM Master Technician, Former Lexus Master Diagnostic Specialist
15033465

1986 vw cabriolet: the fuel filter and put..drove..die..stay running

My 1986 vw cabriolet that i just bought had been sitting for 2 yrs. I replaced the fuel filter and put in fresh gas with a bottle of heat and drove it for a half hour with no problems then it started to buck and die then start again and idle but not stay running under pressure. When i let it cool down it ran good againfor about the same amount of time and then started with the same problem. Now when I run it from cold it will barely run at all and keeps dieing. What do you think?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted the Technician replied 8 years ago.

Hi, I'm Ted.

You need to see if it is a fuel or spark issue. You could start by checking fuel pressure when it dies. Then I would test spark. just remove a plug and wire and crank it to see if it sparks, lay the plug on something metal and dont touch it. If you have no fuel pressure the fuel pump may be binding up when its hot. If you have no spark the problem could be inthe ignition system.