Ted the Technician
Ted the Technician, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Former GM Master Technician, Former Lexus Master Diagnostic Specialist
15033465

Pickup: 2500 7.4 4x4 turns over wont start..coil..rotor

Customer Question

my 1994 sub. 2500 7.4 4x4 turns over wont start .......all new dist. pickup coil, control module( tested good at napa), new cap, new rotor. new fuel pressure reg. new ecu. fuel pump and relay working properly. getting power to everything . I can jump injectors at dist. plug and get them to pulse. old computer was giving code 42, new one is not. for the last few weeks it wouldnt start sometimes then wait awhile and it would. I,m lost PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted the Technician replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I'm Ted.

Lets review the basics air, fuel, spark.

Have you measured fuel pressure while cranking the engine?

Have you checked for spark while cranking, Actually tested with a spare plug?

Do you know for sure the timing is right not 180out

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
fuel presssure 65 . yes I have checked for spark w/plug and none. yes timing is good I even checked it at TDC on no.1
If you are getting power to the ignition coil. Then try pulling off the coil wire and crank to check spark. If it has power in and nothing out you may have a bad coil. If the coil tests good then you need to go back to the distributor. I have had ignition modules test good but not work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
These are all things I have already done. can you find me a diagram of the EST cicuit and tell me the most likely place to look for faults. then I will accept your answer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What ever picture you sent me did not show up and you also did not tell me where to look for faults