LNAC tech
LNAC tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  European car specialist, Shop foreman, ASE Master certification
15184610

2006 Escalade: liftgate..rear window will unlock..door locks

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Escalade. Neither the rear liftgate or rear window will unlock with the romote or the inside door unlock. All other door locks function properly
Category: Car
Expert:  LNAC tech replied 5 years ago.
The only part that is affected is the rear door correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. The rear liftgate and the rear window in the liftgate. Everything else works ok.

I am going to examine fuses next.

Expert:  LNAC tech replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Do look at the fuses but What I believe is your problem is the wiring in the hinge of the liftgate has broken. Look where the black accordian boot is and peel it back. Look inside and "tug" on the wires to see if theere are any broken ones. This happens from reapeted opening and closing. The wires bend back and forth and finally break. Let me know if I can further help.

Dean

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I get to the boot without opening the liftgate?
Expert:  LNAC tech replied 5 years ago.
You should be able to manualy ulock the hatch with the key and open it. Deos that not work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no key entry for the liftgate of window in the liftgate.
Expert:  LNAC tech replied 5 years ago.
Then the rear hatch panel will have to be removed from the inside in order to manually unlock the hatch. Alldata shows a lock cylinder in the hatch are you sure its not behind the emblem?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried to pry the emplem...no movement....let me go try again.
Expert:  LNAC tech replied 5 years ago.
The emblem might slide sideways.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The emblem doesn't move. In fact, it is embeded into the body of the liftgate. The only options the owner manual gives for liftgate entry is either using the remote or the door lock button.
Expert:  LNAC tech replied 5 years ago.

Well then the only option is to remove the panel off the interior of the hatch to access the latch manually. This may help.

1. Remove upper trim panel.

1. Pry gently with a thin-bladed tool in order to release the clips.

1. Slide the trim panel upward to disengage mounting hooks.
  2. Remove the trim panel from the liftgate.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your pictures did not come through. All I received was a box with a small red X in it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your answer doesn't show the pictures. I tried to remove anything from the inside back hatch but no luck. I have to load my vehicle and go on a 2800 mile trip on Tuesday. If I can't get an answer that works, I'll have to take it to the dealer tomorrow.