stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Domestic transmission diagnostics and troubleshooting. General repair diagnostics and troubleshoot.
2267585

2001 MITSUBISHI MONTERO: THE ALTERNATOR AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED

2001 MITSUBISHI MONTERO SPORT..............BATTERY WON'T STAY CHARGED.............I REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN.......
Category: Car
Expert:  stin1974 replied 8 years ago.
Its possible that the battery itself is bad. It the alternator is charging the battery correctly then you most likely have a bad battery or bad cells in the battery. You should have the battery tested (which should have been done when the alt. was put on) to see for sure. They will be able to tell if thats the problem, which it most likely is if the alternator is working correctly and all your connections are good.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
NEW BATTERY.................OIL GETTING INTO THE ALTERNATOR IS THAT POSSIBLE.............CAUSING ALTERNATOR TO GO BAD
Expert:  stin1974 replied 8 years ago.
I have seen that happen. Was the old alternator saturated with oil?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IT HAD OIL RESIDUE ON IT......IT MAY HAVE A SMALL OIL LEAK....
Expert:  stin1974 replied 8 years ago.
Oil getting into the alternator can cause it do malfunction. Was the alternator working (charging the battery) right after the repair was done and then quit working or did it imediatly not work?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IT WORKED THEN ABOUT 3 WEEKS LATER HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.....
Expert:  stin1974 replied 8 years ago.
ok, then yes. If you say it did have oil on it then I would deffinetly have the leak fixed and then replace the altermator. The alternator should be under warranty. If you replaced it yourself I would clean the one off that you take out and you should be able to get a new one for free. If a garage did it (im assuming you did it if you noticed the oil) then you might have to pay for a new one, although they should have seen the oil on the alt. Thats what I would do. Fix whatever is causing oil to get to the alt. (valve cover gaskets?) and peplace the alternator because oil will deffinetly cause it to malfunction.