stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Domestic transmission diagnostics and troubleshooting. General repair diagnostics and troubleshoot.
2267585

1999 Mazda Miata: clutch master cylinder..car used..Replacing..fixes

My 1999 Mazda Miata has continuous problems with the clutch slave cylinder. I have replaced the clutch master cylinder twice and the slave cylinder twice a year since I bought the car used. Replacing the slave cylinder always fixes the problem. Is there an inherint problem with the hydraulics or am I missing something?
Category: Car
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
Im assuming that you eventually lose your clutch pedal and end up replacing these?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. The clutch slave cylinder when replaced always fixes the problem for about six months. In that time period it seems to degrade before failure. I have replaced this slave cylinder with rebuilt ones as well as new ones with the exact same result.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
Are you losing fluid as this is happening? Is the master cyliner low when you replace these?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is somtimes evidence of fluid leak at the slave cylinder. The master cylinder is never low to the point of adding fluid. Just bleeding the system doesn't fix the problem it takes actual replacement of the slave cylinder.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
Have you had the clutch replaced in this vehicle and if so , did the problem start after this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I replace the clutch shortly after I purchased the vehicle used. The first slave cylinder failed about six months later. I have been replacing them evr since.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
After you replaced the clutch, did the clutch pedal seem harder to depress in any way?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not sure. Possibly a slight change. I replaced the OEM clutch with an ACT performance clutch.

Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
Ok thats what I was steering twords. With that clutch, The pressure plate is a lot more heavy duty and harder to depress which is putting a lot of stress on the slave and will wear it out a lot faster. The slave you are putting on is most likely for the factory clutch and presure plate. I would suggest calling where you got the performance clutch and see if they have a heavy duty slave for it. I would imagine they would. Thats where I would start.
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Domestic transmission diagnostics and troubleshooting. General repair diagnostics and troubleshoot.