Lamp
Lamp, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified Electronics, Brakes, Steering and Suspension
11105956

2000 mazda millenia will not start, ITS NOT THE BATTERY,The

Customer Question

2000 mazda millenia will not start, ITS NOT THE BATTERY,The car Ran just find when I park it in the drive way last night this Morning engine just turns over and over, It have been snowing and raining for a few days , but I dont think that have anything to do with the NO START.
Category: Car
Expert:  Lamp replied 5 years ago.

Hello thank you for using JA let me see if I can help.

What will need to be done is first to check if the vehicle has any fuel. If you just parked it and it will not start and turns over okay then more than likely it does not have to do with the timing belt repair. I would start by checking the fuel system. There is a fuel rail need to make sure fuel is getting to the injectors. Try opening the gas cap and listening while some turns the key on for the first time in the morning and you should hear the humm of the fuel pump. A fuel pump will make the vehicle not start and will not set a check engine light. If it was anything with the spark like a crank sensor then a check engine light would have come on and more than likely the engine would have died. Start by checking the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK LAMP WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP LOCATED ON THIS CAR?

I NOTICE THAT I CAN SMELL A STRONG ORDOR OF GAS WHILE IM TURNING OVER THE ENGINE, BUT THE GAS SMELL DOES NOT SEEM TO BE COMING FROM AROUND THE ENGINE, BUT MAYBE IM WRONG.

Expert:  Lamp replied 5 years ago.
There is an access panel under the passanger seat to access it but if you smell fuel you may want to check if the fuel is getting to the fuel rail before condeming or removing the fuel pump. Try listening for the fuel pump coming on first. How much fuel is in the car? Are you on an incline?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I HAVE A 1/2 TANK OF FUEL, AND IM INSIDE MY GARAGE THATS LEVEL CONCRETE.

I WILL GO OUT AND LISTEN FOR THE FUEL PUMP TOO COME ON OK.

Expert:  Lamp replied 5 years ago.
Try that first and let me know and we will go from there, most of the time it will turn out to be the fuel pump that is not coming on. If it is not coming on and you want to make sure try tapping on the tank most of the time it will come on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I GOING OUT TO DO THE TAPPING ON THE TANK, BECAUSE WHEN I TURN THE IGNITION ON I HERD NOTHING FROM THE FUEL TANK WITH THE CAP OFF.
Expert:  Lamp replied 5 years ago.
This is most of the time it will come on if you are not hearing it and tapping it does not make is come on this is only a start for the issue. You would have to expose the fuel pump and check power and ground to the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK IT DID NOT JUMP ON, IS THEIR A FUSE THAT MABE BLOWN OR IF NOT CAN I EXPOSE THE FUEL PUMP WITHOUT TAKING OUT THE TANK AND HOW WOULD I DO THIS?
Expert:  Lamp replied 5 years ago.
The fuel pump is located and should be assembly under the seat in the rear. When you remove the bottom of the seat which should just pull up and out there will be 2 covers with 4 screws each and you should be able to remove it and expose the connector and check for power and ground to the pump. Try again tapping at the top of the fuel pump which may make it start.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANKS A LOT I WILL DO THIS TOMMOROW ITS ABOUT 10:54pm HERE, I BELEIVE THE FUEL PUMP WILL BE ANSWER, IF IM NOT HEARING THE PUMP COME ON THAT TELLS ME THAT THE PUMP PROBLEM IS PROBELY GOING TO BE ELECTRICAL IS THAT RIGHT?
Expert:  Lamp replied 5 years ago.
Yes more than likely if it is not coming on it is the pump. Under the hood there is a fuse box with a relay for the fuel pump. Hold it and have someone turn over the vehicle see if you can feel it click let you know it is actuating. You will need to check for power and ground. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.