brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

94 mazda b2300: shifting hard..clutch fluid in the cold weather .whats

94 mazda b2300 shifting hard and have to keep adding clutch fluid in the cold weather .whats going on with it
Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

If your adding fluid then there is a leak. What have you checked so far?

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how often should you add fluid .never had the fluid flushed .only acts up in the winter .seem to do it one time in the summer but i added some then i was good for awhile .
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Should really never have to add. The problem is the seal in the master cylinder or the seal in the slave cylinder is bad. The seal shrinks in cold weather and leaks. In the summer it swells and holds the fluid. It will keep getting worse the longer it goes with out being replaced.

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How much our we talking here at a fair reputable shop .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this something i can change out myself .as i am mechanically inclined
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Master cylinder $200.00 - $250.00

Slave cylinder $400.00

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are these simple repair jobs that i could do myself
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how much for just the parts
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Master cylinder $110.00

Slave cylinder $100.00

CLUTCH RELEASE CYLINDER
REMOVAL/INSTALLATION

Caution: Be careful not to spill clutch fluid on a painted surface. If spilled, wipe it off immediately.

1. Disconnect the clutch pipe from the transmission using Clutch Disconnect Tool T88T-70522-A, or equivalent.
  2. Remove the transmission.
  3. Remove in the order shown in the figure,
  4. Install in the reverse order of removal,
  5. After installation, bleed the clutch system. See: Clutch Master Cylinder\Service and Repair

Clutch pipe

Caution: After removing the clutch pipe, plug it to avoid fluid leakage.

1. Disconnect the clutch pipe by using Clutch Disconnect Tool T88T-70522-A, or equivalent.
  2. Slide the white plastic sleeve toward the clutch release cylinder while applying a slight tug on the pipe.

OVERHAUL

1. Disassemble in the order shown in the figure.
  2. Inspect all parts and repair or replace as necessary.
  3. Assemble in the reverse order of disassembly.
(1)Retaining ring
(2)Clutch release collar Inspection
(3)Spring
(4)Clutch release cylinder

Clutch release cylinder
Install the clutch release cylinder.
Tightening torque: 19.1-25.9 N.m {1.9-2.6 kgf.m, 14.1-19.1 ft.lbf}

INSPECTION
Release collar travel

1. Remove the rubber plug from the inspection port in the side of the transmission housing.

1. Using the black plastic bearing retainer rear edge as an indicator, take a reading with the clutch pedal fully up using Bearing Travel Gauge D87T-4201-A, or equivalent.
  2. Have an assistant fully depress the clutch pedal and take another measurement.
  3. The difference between the two readings is the total bearing travel.
  4. If the release collar travel is less than 1O.8mm {O.425 in} ,inspect the hydraulic system for leaks. If a leak is located in the system, replace the worn or damaged component and bleed the system.
  5. If no leak is found, bleed the system. Recheck the release collar travel after repairs.

Note The illustration shows how a tool may be fabricated locally.

CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER
REMOVAL/INSTALLATION

1. Remove in the order shown in the figure,
  3. Install in the reverse order of removal,
  4. After installation, bleed the clutch system. See: Service and Repair

1. Master cylinder push rod
  2. Clutch pedal position switch
  3. Screw
  4. Clutch pipe
  5. Bolts
  6. Clutch master cylinder, inspect for fluid leakage from cylinder bore.

Clutch pipe

2. Slide the white plastic sleeve toward the clutch release cylinder while applying a slight tug on the pipe. Install the clutch master cylinder and bolts. Tightening torque: 11.4-15.6 N.m {1.16-1.59 kgf.m, 8.4-11.5 ft.lbf}

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,