Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

My 2001 Saturn sl2 service engine soon light is on and it has failed emissio

The Trouble code that shows up is: P0404: EGR Circuit Range/Performance. I need to pass emissions but i cannot figure out what is wrong with my car. I don't know how to fix it. Do you have any solutions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer you most likely have a faulty EGR valve. This is very common. This valve is an electronic component. There are two other things that can affect it's operation. If carbon gets stuck in the valve, it can cause this code to set while the piece was stuck in it. Another possibility is that the passageways that channel the exhaust gases controlled by the valve gets clogged, so when the valve is commanded on, there is not effect seen by the computer and it sets the code. Here is a description of what the EGR valve does and a picture of it's location. It's a very easy item to replace. It's cost is around $160.00. If you remove the valve. Try to start the car, but be ready to shut it off. When you start the car, the idle should skyrocket, but the car should not idle. If it stalls, chances are the passageways are clear. If it idles, you most likely have clogged passageways and they need to be cleaned out.

Your JA Expert,