George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

B2300: remove the dash board to replace the heater core..ac

Do I need to remove the dash board to replace the heater core for a mazda p/u B2300 with AC?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will answer your question,

The short answer is yes the instrument panel does get removed to replace the heater core in a B2300. If you have the year I can provide specific information on how to do this and to replace the heater core

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Year is stated in my first email, 1996.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The optional information did not show up until just now. Sorry for making you state it twice the webmaster keeps promising to fix this bug but no joy yet.

To remove the dash:

graphic

Image Legend:

1. Center finish panel
  2. Steering column opening cover
  3. Steering column opening reinforcement
  4. Cluster finish panel
  5. Instrument cluster
  6. Ash receptacle
  7. Passenger air bag deactivation (PAD) switch (if equipped)
  8. Glove compartment
  9. Passenger side air bag module (if equipped)
  10. Dashboard

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove in the order shown in the figure, referring to Removal Notes.
  3. Install in the reverse order of removal, referring to Installation Notes.

Removal Notes

Steering Column Opening Cover:
Remove two screws and pull cover straight out to release clips.

Dashboard:

1. Remove power distribution box from bracket and move aside.
  2. Disconnect three gang bulkhead connectors in engine compartment next to vacuum booster
  • Remove the hood release cable handle from the dashboard.
  • Remove the bolts retaining the parking brake assembly to the lower left corner of the dashboard.
  • Move manual shift transfer case to 4L or manual transmission shift lever to 2, 4 or R position, if necessary.
  • Remove bolt at right of accelerator pedal from bracket.
  • Open fuse panel cover and remove two bolts retaining dashboard to A-Pillar beam.
  • Remove right-hand front side trim.
  • Remove one bolt from lower right-hand dashboard.
  • Remove defroster grille by lifting edge of grille with flat wooden dowel to disengage clips and tabs.
  • Open glove box and disconnect radio antenna connector.
  • Disconnect three electrical connectors and ground strap at lower right-hand dashboard area.
  • Remove lower steering column pinch bolt.
  • Disconnect Brake On/Off (BOO) switch connector.
  • Remove three bolts and two screws from top of dashboard. Pull dashboard towards you.
  • Disconnect gang electrical connector from rear of I/P.
  • Remove the dashboard.
  •  

graphic

To remove the heater core:

• Remove the instrument panel.
  • Remove the evaporator core housing.
  • Drain the radiator.
  • Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core
  •  

Remove the plenum chamber

Remove the screws and remove the heater core cover

• Remove the heater core.
  • Install in reverse order of removal
  • graphic

To remove the heater case you will have to discharge the AC system and remove the evaporator case as there are nuts for the heater case behind it

graphic

If this is the information you asked for please ACCEPT this answer. If not please ask

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Thanks for your reply. I don't understand why they had to engineer the heater core and put in behind the dash. Could'nt they put it just 4" down or so?!?!??? This should be a fun project! How do I give you a positive feedback? Thanks, Nick
    Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to the eternal question of automotive technicians all over the world "what was the engineer thinking and why does he hate me so much" LOL!!! You can get a shop to recover the AC system and recharge it properly when you are done with the core. They should not charge much to do this.

When you accept the answer a dialog will open for bonus and feedback to be entered as you determine what my service was worth to you.

If you have questions please ask

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist