FixItMan, Master Technician

2002 Saturn L300: Car starts..warms..Drives..the just dies

2002 Saturn L300 Car starts and warms up fine. Drives for short time then just dies no codes no warning. Wait a short time then starts drives for several days the just dies. Saturn dealer says fuel pump but not sure wants to start there for $1000.00. Is he trouble shoooting with parts?
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer has the dealer looked at the car? How many miles are on the vehicle? When it dies does it just crank over and not start?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is a little over 80,000 miles runs great when it runs. Car turns over no start but wait a short while and it will start approx. 5 min. I would try it every minute with no success but then after approx. 5 min it usually starts.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
Okay. This can be a number of different things. It may be a fuel pump, it can be an engine sensor, and it may be the anti-theft system. The next time this happens you should pay close attention to the security light. See if it is on or flashing when you are cranking the engine over and it is not starting. If it is on then the security system is malfunctioning. If it is not then the problem may be in a sensor such as the crank sensor or even in the ignition switch. Is the check engine light on at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No check engine light. Thats curious about the security system. I borrowed an OBD2 and no codes. I put the OBD2 in without turning on the engine and one code came up in memoryP0727 speed sensor. but whenI ceared it it did not return. The dealer did not look at it just said fuel pump but before I spent $1000.00 I would like to be sure.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
You would not know for sure if it was the fuel pump unless you checked the fuel pressure when the vehicle was not starting. In most cases when the fuel pump fails and causes the engine to stall it will not start and run well for a few days. Has the fuel filter ever been changed? If not change it as it can cause the fuel pump to got hot while running. Other than changing this I would suspect other systems before the fuel pump. You can also change the fuel pump relay with another relay in the fuse box with the same number. This would eliminate the fuel pump relay as a problem. This is located in the underhood fuse box.